Frameworthy: 2013 Photo Contest
Deadline for entries is September 30, 2013.
- Kids and Critters on the Farm
- Fresh and Local
- All in a Day's Work on the Farm
- Rural Scenic
- Budding Artists
(photographers age 13 and under whose parent or guardian is a Farm Bureau or California Bountiful Foundation member)
- Grand Prize $500
- First Place $250 (each category)
- Second Place $100 (each category)
- Ten Budding Artists entries will receive a copy of the book "Imagine this... Stories Inspired by Agriculture," featuring stories written about agriculture by California students.
The contest is open to any amateur photographer (one who does not regularly receive income from photography) who is a member of a county Farm Bureau in California or a contributing member of the California Bountiful Foundation.
Employees (and their immediate family members) of the California Farm Bureau Federation (CFBF), its affiliated companies or county Farm Bureaus may not participate.
Young photographers are encouraged to enter the Budding Artists category, presented by the California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom. An entrant in the Budding Artists category must be 13 years old or younger as of September 30, 2013, and a child or ward of a county Farm Bureau member or California Bountiful Foundation contributing member.
- Photos must highlight California agriculture and have been taken in 2012 or 2013.
- Photos may not have been or be entered in any other contest.
- Photos must accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appears. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will not be chosen. Sepia and black-and-white photos are acceptable.
- Only one photo may be submitted per category.
- A completed entry form must be attached to the back of each printed photo or submitted for each photo entered online. Incomplete or illegible entry forms will not be accepted.
- If applicable, the model release portion of the form must also be completed and signed by each identifiable person in the photograph; a parent or guardian must sign for a minor. Online entrants will be prompted to print out the form to be signed and submitted by email, fax or mail.
- Children entering the Budding Artists category must provide their date of birth on the entry form.
- On the entry form, check the box of the category in which you are submitting your photo. Photos without a checked category on the entry form will be disqualified. The same photo may not be entered in multiple categories.
- All photos become the property of CFBF and will not be returned.
- CFBF may, without offering any consideration to or obtaining the further permission of its submitter, use any such photo for any purpose, such as publishing it in Ag Alert® newspaper or California BountifulTM magazine, posting it on CFBF websites, reproducing it for Farm Bureau use or selling it at a county Farm Bureau auction.
- All decisions by CFBF as to the interpretation of these rules or the judging of photos are in its sole discretion and final.
Download the complete rules (PDF, 45 KB).
Printed Photos (mailed)
- Photos must be at least 5 x 7 inches but no larger than 8½ x 11 inches, unmatted and unframed.
- Photos must be printed at the highest-quality printer setting and on photographic paper.
Tips for best print quality:
- Take digital images to a commercial photo finisher (many retail stores have photo centers) and request a print size from 5 x 7 inches to 8½ x 11 inches.
- When printing photos on an in-home inkjet or laser printer, use "best" quality photo print setting (see your printer's instruction manual).
Digital Photos (submitted online)
- All entries must have a resolution of 6 million pixels or greater. For more information, see "Image quality" below.
- Smartphone images may be submitted if they adhere to the resolution requirement (see "Image quality" below); otherwise, smartphone images should be printed and submitted as described in "Printed photos" (above).
- Turn off the date stamp option on your camera. Photos with a date stamp or photographer's name on the photo will be disqualified.
- All digital photos must be in .jpg format.
- Images not meeting these specifications will be ineligible.
- Set your camera to 6 megapixels or higher for photos by using the highest image-quality setting available on your camera. High-resolution settings on your camera may vary depending on brand.
- Resolution can be calculated by multiplying the pixel width of the image by the pixel height. For example, a photograph taken with a 6-megapixel camera set for highest resolution and best quality produces images of about 2832 pixels by 2128 pixels, which are acceptable under the rules (2832 x 2128 = 6 million pixels). Digital images must be of sufficient resolution to reproduce well on the printed page.
How to find the high-resolution settings on certain camera brands:
||EOS Rebel T3: (L) Large
A620 Powershot: (L) Large
||D3100: (L) Large
Coolpix, AW100: 3264 x 2448 setting and higher
||D-520 Zoom: SHQ (super high quality, jpg)
Olympus FE370: 3264 x 2448 image resolution (8 MB)
||WX150: 3264 x 2448 image resolution (8 MB) and higher
If you're not sure about proper image quality settings for your camera, check the documentation that came with the camera.
Entries must be postmarked or entered online by Monday, September 30, 2013.
Where to Enter
Mail your printed photos with a completed entry form attached to the back of each photo to:
California Farm Bureau Federation
2300 River Plaza Drive
Sacramento, CA 95833
Confirmation of Receipt
If you require confirmation of receipt of your entry, please contact Chico Ochi at (916) 561-5549 or email@example.com.
Notification of Winners
Winners will be notified by mail, email or phone.
By entering this contest, you grant the California Farm Bureau Federation a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, publish, display, distribute, reproduce, edit, adapt and create derivative works of the submitted photograph, in whole or in part, in any media now known or hereafter discovered, including in use on websites, in publications and for promotional purposes, without compensation or prior notice to you, your successors or assigns, or any other person or entity. Entering a submission in this contest constitutes your irrevocable assignment, conveyance, and transference to CFBF of these rights.
Direct your questions to: Chico Ochi at (916) 561-5549 or firstname.lastname@example.org
View winning photos from the 2012 contest.
View winning photos from the 2011 contest.
View winning photos from the 2010 contest.
View winning photos from the 2009 contest.